Advisory: This Ain't Disney! - Journal Entry #4
After a lot of begging n pleading (okay so it wasn't that much) I got Ms. Largo to allow me to do the grade 11/12 media journal entry. Why, because i liked it better!
Personally, I think that computer animation is livelier than hand drawn animation. Computer animation is more interesting to watch and more modern. Today it is very rare to see a 2-D movie in the theatres, all family movies are in 3-D [like Happy Feet and Cars]. I think that people enjoy watching computer animated movies because the characters are more lifelike, have more expression, and look a lot cooler. Technology is changing everyday and movies have to move along too.
Computer animation is everywhere today, in ads, posters and TV shows. It was time for movies to join the new generation, and when they did people were excited. Computer animated movies were, and are, a big hit. Finding Nemo, Shrek, Toy Story and Monster Inc are movies that everybody has seen or heard about. I’m not saying that people haven’t seen or heard of hand animation movies; it’s just that people had more to talk about with computer animated movies. Many people who went to see Finding Nemo, Bugs Life, etc. probably just went to see what this computer animation was really like. It is just so amazing that one can create a whole new character on a computer with shadowing, realistic features, and movement.
Hand drawn animation and computer animation are just so different. If you are somebody who enjoys classic movies then you’d probably be more into hand animation. If you like modern flicks and technology then you’d probably love computer animation movies. It’s very hard to compare the two as they are so different! Hand animation is flatter and retro, like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty; whereas, computer animation is 3-D and modern, like Cars and Chicken Little. People enjoy movies for different reasons, and not everyone is going to have the same opinion.
I do agree with the modern animators when they say that hand drawn animation is too time consuming as you have to draw the character one frame at a time. Drawing frame by frame would get terribly annoying after awhile, having to draw the same character over and over. I think that computer animation is the way to go; it’s modern and very popular in this day and age. Contrary to what animation purists say, I think that computer animation is full of life as the 3-D effect makes expressions clearer and more realistic.
Computer animation is taking over hand drawn animation and I’m being taken away with it!


2 Comments:
Hi Amy,
You say computer animation looks "cooler". What exactly do you mean by that? You need to give more exact reasons as to why you prefer comp. animation over traditional. Afterall, many people think hand-drawn animation looks "cooler".
Hi Amy!
Cool, you got to do a grade 11/12 one!? This is realy good and agree that 3d animation should be considered as animation. It fits right into the 'modern' age we are in. It is probably also easier as you said, then drawing each thing by hand and it looks better too in my opinion ^_^! You can also do many effects and create much more versatile characters in 3d animation. However, I think that hand drawn animation will always be valued more because first of all its a 'classic way' and secondly it takes much more work.
Keep Blogging!
Signed,
Daniel
Post a Comment
<< Home